Monday, June 29, 2009

1921-2009



















Thomas Chimes, Julia's grandfather, passed away on his 88th birthday on April 20th. He is absolutely one of my favorite artist. He was fearless in his idiosyncratic approach to painting, giving himself a freedom to reinvention many times over. The mountain of historical, literary, and artistic references found in his work can serve as an encyclopedia of the avant-garde. His use of self-reference brought himself to epic proportions. I'm really grateful to have discovered him, especially at the age and time I did. His whole career is a true gift. I suggest looking into his white paintings. You can find more information about him through the Locks Gallery based out of Philly. They are holding a memorial service for him in September. I think they will also be having a retrospective show for him around the same time.



No comments:

Post a Comment